Dark Chocolate Brownies
By popular demand, the recipe for my Dark Chocolate “best brownies evar”. This makes 6-8 brownies but you can double or triple the batch to make more. Go easy on your first batch; these are surprisingly filling for such a small treat.
Heads up, budding bakers: I’m looking for someone to experiment with vegan alternatives for this recipe. I have used applesauce to sub for eggs in other baking recipes, but I’ve never tried it on brownies. See other tweaks you can do with sugar, avocado, nuts, and more at the end of this recipe.
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/4 c white sugar (or unbleached sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp and 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (I use cooking spray) cupcake pan(s) for 6-8 brownies.
- In a small saucepan melt butter on low heat. Remove from heat , stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla until dissolved.
- In a small bowl mix cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat in wet mixture from saucepan.
- Add batter to cupcake pan. If each space is about half full this should make 6-8 brownies.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. I prefer to cook them toward the 30 min end, but don’t overcook.
Tweak the Recipe (pick one per batch)
- Regular Brownies: double the sugar
- Better Fat Brownies: sub 1/4 cup ripe avocado for butter, bake at 325 F
- Cupcake Brownies: double the flour
- Nutty Brownies: add walnuts, almonds, or pecans
- Coconut Brownies: add unsweetened coconut flakes
- Special Brownies: add drugs, lol
- My favourite GLUTEN FREE brownie recipe (carucakes.wordpress.com)
- Dark Chocolate Goat Cheese Brownies (andtheycookedhappilyeverafter.wordpress.com)
- The Secret Recipe Club: Mascarpone Brownies (bewitchingkitchen.com)
- chocolate covered pretzel peanut butter brownies. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Espresso Kahlua Brownies- Gluten and Lactose Free and AWESOME! (optimumnutrition.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Fudge Brownies (organisedclutter.wordpress.com)